2020/2021 Visiting Student Program - Before Arrival

Pre-Arrival Guidebook (to be Announced) 

The Office of International Affairs has compiled a guidebook for information to help you as you prepare to embark on your journey to Taiwan. Please click on the photo to the right to access the AY2019/2020 Pre-Arrival Guidebook which includes essential information on topics including dormitory, finance, course selection, etc. To download an electronic version, please click here.






Before you come to Taiwan, you should apply for a Visitor or Resident Visa from the Taiwan Diplomatic Mission in your residence country with the acceptance letter (both Chinese and English), the admission letter (only in Chinese) and other supporting documents issued by NTU. Look up the Taiwan Diplomatic Mission in your residence country by visiting the Ministry of Foreign Affair's website: www.mofa.gov.tw/en >> Embassies & Missions. Please note that if you fail to obtain visa issued by a Taiwan Diplomatic Mission, your exchange student identity will  be canceled.

If you are a Mainland China Passport holder, you will need to enter Taiwan with an Entry Permit (入臺證). According to regulation of National Immigration Agency (NIA), the OIA or your college/department at NTU will help you with the application for an Entry Permit. Find out more in the Guide for Mainland China Passport Holders.


If you will be staying in Taiwan for one academic year, you may be able to obtain an ARC. ARC for visiting students may be valid for one year and cannot be extended.

Once you have registered at NTU, you can apply for a Resident Visa at the Bureau of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you entered Taiwan on a Visitor Visa. Within 15 days of receiving a Resident Visa, you must apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) at the National Immigration Agency in Taipei. You may also request a Re-entry Permit (多重入國許可) when you apply for an ARC.

NTU Insurance Policy (for 2020/2021 1st  semester)

You must purchase your own insurance in your home country before travelling to Taiwan. Please provide proof of insurance valid for your entire exchange period for the following:

-Accident insurance worth a minimum of TWD 1,000,000 (approx. USD 34,000)
-Medical insurance worth a minimum of TWD 1,000,000 (approx. USD 34,000)

The complete insurance policy has to be written in English or Chinese and the document is required to registration.

If you hold an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) and have met the six-month minimum residency requirement, you can choose to join the National Health Insurance (NHI) with limited coverage. More detail information can be found on page 32 of 2018/2019 Guidebook for Exchange & Visiting Students.

NTU Health Exam Policy (for 2020/2021 1st semester)

To meet NTU and government requirements, all new students must complete a health exam conducted by a qualified doctor and complete all parts listed on the NTU Incoming Exchange/Visiting Students Health Exam FormPlease print out the health exam forms and bring it to be completed by a qualified doctor in your home country after June 10, 2020. After you get the health report, submit the original forms to the OIA on the registration day.

Note:  If you have a Visitor Visa and need to change to a Resident Visa, you have to take the health exam for the Resident Visa at a Ministry-designated hospital, which does not include the NTU Hospital. You are suggested to bring both NTU Health Exam forms and the medical form for residence application to a designated hospital and ask them to fill out the results on both forms. 

NTU Student Volunteer

To help you prepare for and be familiar with NTU student life, the OIA will assign a NTU student volunteer to you. You should receive a welcome email from your student volunteer before the semester starts. Please reply directly to his/her email. If you haven't heard from your student volunteer by then, please contact the NTU visiting student coordinator.

Update: 2020 / 03 / 12