- Required Number of Courses / Credits: According to student’s individual needs and/or according to home university. We suggest 30 ECTS per term.
- Almost all subjects are taught in German. Please note that subjects taught in English outside the Departments of English and North American Studies are very limited in number. Availability may vary and cannot be guaran-teed. An overview of subjects taught in English is available at Course Catalogue . Please use the “ad-vanced search option” to find courses in English.
- Special classes for exchange students: The Institute of German Languages and Literature offers a study program exclusively for exchange students. The seminars focus on the culture, society and history of Berlin and Germany and should be regarded as an additional offer to the basic study program.
- Undergraduate pro-grams: The Freie Universität Berlin offers a broad variety of undergraduate programs.With few exceptions all undergraduate programs are open for exchange students. Please note that Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are NOT open to exchange students. Restrictions apply in Biology, Law, Pharmacy, Economics and Business Administration.
- Master’ programs: The Freie Universität Berlin offers a range of master’s programs. An alphabetical overview is available at here. In order to attend individual classes in a master’s program, students need prior approval by the faculty mem-ber. The Freie Universität Berlin offers a range of master’s programs. The following programs are open for ex-change students without restriction: Modern German Literature, Philosophy and Political Science.All other programs are restricted and need prior approval by the institute / department. Fee-based continuing education master’s programs are NOT open to exchange students.
- PhD programs: If students have the necessary prerequisites, exchange students may be enrolled as visiting PhD students.