For international students, the Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) serves as their temporary ID card which can prove their resident status in Taiwan. It is a very important document and international students are advised to take good care of it and pay attention to its expiration date!
Moreover, whether international students have entered Taiwan with Resident Visa or obtained Resident Visa through visa change within Taiwan, please remember to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at the local office of Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency on the next day upon arrival or within 15 days of the issue of their resident visa.
There are 2 ways to apply for ARC : Online application and On site application.
※Online Application System
★The National Immigration Agency (NIA) encourages foreign students to utilize the “Students Online Application System” website which allows foreign students to access various administrative applications including applying for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC). During the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, to go online also means to stay away from public gatherings and save some hassle from traffic or waiting in queues.
If students have questions about using the “Students Online Application System” (https://coa.immigration.gov.tw/coa-frontend/student/entry?lang=en), call the NIA customer service center (02-2796-7162) . Detailed contact information can be found on the NIA website (https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141386/127061/127076/)
In order to allow foreign and overseas Chinese students to attend college and above in Taiwan, the students shall apply for a resident visa at an overseas Taiwan embassy before applying through the online registration and certification system for a resident visa at the National Immigration Agency of the Ministry of the Interior after arriving in Taiwan.
Any student with foreign nationality but not yet approved for naturalization in Taiwan may hold an admission permit/notice or certificate of enrollment and registration to fill out an application.
- Foreign and overseas Chinese students who wish to attend school in Taiwan may apply through the online registration and certification system with an admission permit/notice or certificate of enrollment and registration provided by the attending school within 15 days after arriving in Taiwan.
- After acquiring a residence permit upon arriving in Taiwan and getting enrolled, the foreign and overseas Chinese students who need to extend their stay in Taiwan due to academic requirements shall apply for a residence permit renewal online within 30 days before the residence permit expires.
- After acquiring a residence permit upon arriving in Taiwan and getting enrolled, the foreign and overseas Chinese students who need to change their residence permit content shall apply for a residence permit alteration online.
- Inquiry for Application Progress
After filling out and submitting an online application form, the foreign and overseas Chinese students may receive a set of confirmation numbers composed of 12-digit numbers. By gaining access to "application progress inquiry" under "progress inquiry", the students may key-in the conditions for inquiry so that the system will generate the relevant information automatically for the applicant to keep track of the progress.
- Inquiry for Priority
After filling out and submitting out an online application form, the foreign and overseas Chinese students may receive a set of confirmation numbers composed of 12-digit numbers. By gaining access to the “priority” section, the students may select from a wide range of services provided by the system to keep track of the progress.
After the online application is reviewed and approved by the National Immigration Agency, please make your payment for the residence permit within 5 working days, with application content and price listed below:
- Price of a one-year residence permit for foreign students: NT$1,000.
- Price of a two-year residence permit for foreign students: NT$2,000.
- Price of a three-year residence permit for foreign students: NT$3,000.
- Price for alteration or re-issuance of residence permit: NT$500.
The system provides multi-payment options such as "international credit card", "ATM online", "virtual account payment", "e-government payment platform", and "payment at the four major convenience stores in Taiwan". Regarding the payment option of "International Credit Card", this platform does not support China UnionPay and American Express, and only JCB, VISA, MasterCard credit cards are used for online payment. After the payment is completed, no refund will be made.
6.E-residence Permit and Receipt Download
After the application is reviewed and approved by the National Immigration Agency and after the payment is made, foreign and overseas Chinese students who file the application will receive an e-mail automatically sent by the system informing that the e-residence permit and receipt are ready for download. By signing into the system, the foreign and overseas Chinese students are able to download their e-residence permits and receipts from "e-residence permit download" and "receipt download" in the "download section". Take the e-receipt to the service station in exchange for the IC card as a residence permit.
※On Site Application
1. Required Documents
(1) Application Form
(2) Alien Resident Certificate (except for first-time applicants)
(3) 2-inch photo (2 photos for first-time applicants; 1 photo for applicants for ARC extension.)
(4) Original Passport and Resident Visa and one copy of each
(5) Original Student ID Card or Enrollment Verification and one copy of it. (The freshman students could use NTU admission as verification, National Immigration Agency Service Office will grant a ARC with six month validity in the beginning. When students accomplish registration and receive their student ID cards, they should extend their ARC to one year validity.).
2. Application Procedure
When applying for ARC, please prepare the required documents and go to the local service of Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency. The process can be done in person or by an agent who is provided the certificate of entrustment signed by the applicant. But the first-time applicants shall apply for ARC personally.
NT$1,000 (One-Year Valid), NT$2,000 (Two-Year Valid), NT$3,000 (Three-Year Valid).
Applicants requesting ARC renewal due to the loss or damage of their ARC must pay NT$500 for the renewal process.
4. Notes for First-time Application
(1) Resident Visa holders (or ones who obtained Resident Visa within ROC by visa change) are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at the local office of the Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency on the next day upon arrival or within 15 days of the issue of your resident visa.
(2) If Alien Resident Certificate holders need to leave and Re-enter ROC within the valid period of their ARC, they should apply for re-entry permits while applying for ARC.
5. Notes for ARC Extension
(1) ARC application processing time: 10 working days (ARC can be picked up with the application fee receipt)
(2) For over-staying foreigners who did not apply for ARC extension, their residence will be ceased by the authorized agency, and they may be expelled from Taiwan.
(3) If you change your residence address or employer, you have to register the change with related documents at the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence within 15 days.
(4) If you will continue your enrollment at NTU, you shall apply for an extension within 30 days before your period of residency expire.
(5) Graduates seeking employment in Taiwan are required to provide a graduation certificate to extend their period of stay. The maximum extension is six months, starting from the month of graduation. If students have postponed their graduation, they are required to provide documentation to keep or extend their ARC. Students will be granted a maximum extension of one year, according to their academic situation.
- Overstay within 30 days (30th day excluded) but still enrolled: pay the fine and the application fee for the ARC extension
- Overstay more than 30 days (30th day included) and still enrolled: pay the fine and leave the country in 7 days to apply for a new visa to re-enter Taiwan
- Overstay fine:
- 1-10 days: NTD$2,000
- 11-30 days: NTD$4,000
- 31-60 days: NTD$6,000
- 61-90 days: NTD$8,000
- over 91days: NTD$10,000
(7) If you plan to leave Taiwan during the enrollment period, please make sure before your departure that your ARC will still be valid when you return to Taiwan. If necessary, please renew your ARC at the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence.
(8) If you apply to leave the school (suspension, withdrawal, and graduation), your ARC with the purpose of study will become invalid after you complete the related school-leaving procedure. You shall return the ARC to the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence and leave Taiwan within the prescribed period. If you would like to return to NTU after the suspension is over, you will need to re-apply a new visa to enter Taiwan.
(9) ARC extension application form is the same as the ARC application form, see link above.
For more details, please contact the National Immigration Agency
Address: No.15, Guangjhou St., Jhong Jheng District, Taipei City
Business Hours: Taipei Office: Monday to Friday 8:00 – 17:00
Other Branch Office: Monday to Friday 8:00 – 17:00
Tel: Main Line: (02)2388-9393
Automatic Answering Line: (02)2370-2797
Manual Answering Line: (02)2389-9983; 0800-024-111 (English, Japanese, and Mandarin services available)