A visa is required for residing in Taiwan. Please apply for a Resident Visa prior to arrival even if you are from a visa-free country, as it is a required document when you apply for your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) after arriving in Taiwan. Otherwise, you may need to leave the country or go through other formalities to apply for your ARC.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic entry retrictions, there may be additional documents required for entry into Taiwan.
1. Required Documents
(1) Visa Application form
(2) Two 2-inch photos taken in the last six months (paste on application form)
(3) Original and photocopy of passport (with blank visa pages and at least six months validity)
(4) Original and photocopy of NTU Admission Letter
(5) Original and photocopy of Health Certificate for Residence Application
(6) Other supportive documents or official certificates required by the authority
2. Application Procedures
3. Application Fee
- Process fee for applicants of US nationality: NT$4,480 (US$160)
- Process fee for applicants of other nationalities: NT$2,200 (US$66)
- Additional charge for applicants applying for change of visa in Taiwan: NT$800 (US$24)
Note: Fees are subject to change according to MOFA regulations and exchange rates.
4. Important Notice
Note: Regulations might be adjusted due to the COVID-19 situation, please refer to Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) for more information.
- Foreign nationals who are eligible for visa-exempt entry or enter Taiwan with a Visitor Visa, or with any visa other than a Student Visa, cannot apply for visa extension for purpose of pursuing studies in Taiwan. Non-degree students cannot apply for Student Visa.
- Foreign nationals who enter Taiwan with a Visitor Visa (for the purpose of pursuing studies) must apply for a Resident Visa at Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, before the Visitor Visa expires.
- Resident Visa holders, or those who obtained Resident Visa within Taiwan, are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate through the online application system within 15 days after arrival in Taiwan, or issue date of Resident Visa within Taiwan respectively.
For more details, please contact Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Address: 3-5F, 2-2, Sec.1, Jinan Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City
Visa inquiry Hotline: (02)2343-2885; (02)2343-2895
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30-17:00