Before Arrival

Pre-Arrival Guidebook

The Office of International Affairs has compiled a guidebook for your information as you prepare to embark on your journey to NTU. Please click on the photo to access the AY2022/2023 Pre-Arrival Guidebook which includes essential information on topics including finance, course selection, etc. To download the electronic version, please click the pictures down below. This guidebook is periodically updated and may not always contain current or complete information. Please refer to the latest announcements or emails for accurate information.




Before you come to Taiwan, you should apply for a Resident or Visitor Visa from the Taiwan Diplomatic Mission in your residence country with the official admission letter issued by NTU. Look up the Taiwan Diplomatic Mission in your residence country by visiting the Ministry of Foreign Affair's website > Embassies & Missions.

Please note that if you fail to obtain a proper visa issued by a Taiwan Diplomatic Mission, your exchange student identity will be canceled.

If you are a Mainland China Passport holder, you will need to enter Taiwan with an Entry Permit. According to regulations of the National Immigration Agency, OIA will help you with the application for an Entry Permit. Find out more in the Guide for Mainland China Passport Holders.

ARC (Alien Resident Certificate)

If you will be staying in Taiwan for one academic year, you may be able to obtain an ARC.

Once you have registered at NTU, you can apply for a Resident Visa at the Bureau of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you entered Taiwan on a Visitor Visa. 

Within 15 days of receiving a Resident Visa, you must apply for an ARC at the National Immigration Agency in Taipei. You may also request a Re-entry Permit when you apply for an ARC. 



NTU Insurance Policy

For students who are joining the on-campus exchange program, you are required to purchase your own insurance in your home country before traveling to Taiwan. A valid Taiwanese NHI card (National Health Insurance card) can also be considered as an equivalent insurance coverage.

Please provide proof of insurance in Chinese or English valid for your entire exchange period for the following:
 - Accident insurance worth a minimum of TWD 1,000,000 (approx. USD 34,000)
 - Medical insurance worth a minimum of TWD 1,000,000 (approx. USD 34,000)

If you hold an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) and have met the six-month minimum residency requirement, you can choose to join the National Health Insurance (NHI) with limited coverage.


Health Exam Requirement

  NTU Health Exam Policy

For students joining the on-campus exchange program, you must complete a health exam before travelling to Taiwan. You need to print out the NTU Health Exam Form and Form C (download) in hard copy, and complete the health exam by a qualified doctor in your home country. Submit the original hard copies to NTU to complete the registration procedures.


  • NTU Health Exam Form and Form C must be completed within 3 months prior to the registration date.
  • If you have difficulty to do the health exam in your home country, you may choose to do the health exam at NTU Hospital after arriving in Taiwan. Please note that following the current policy, all foreign passengers are required to complete a 3-day Home Quarantine and 4-day Self-initiated Epidemic Prevention upon arrival. Moreover, it takes around 5 to 7 work days to receive the health exam report.
  • If you fail to submit the health exam form before the registration day, please contact your coordinator to make an appointment for a make-up registration.
  Health Certificate for Residence Application

If you are a one-year exchange student and need to apply for the Resident Visa, you will need to conduct another health exam different from NTU Health Exam Form. To save your time, you are suggested to bring both NTU Health Exam forms and Health Certificate for Residence Application to the hospital and complete at once.  

If you are going to do the health exam in Taiwan, please refer to thelist of Ministry-designated hospital, which does not include the NTU Hospital, and complete the health exam.


NTU Student Volunteer 

To help you become better prepared and more familiar with NTU student life, OIA will assign an NTU student volunteer for you upon your arrival. When you receive a welcome email from your student volunteer, please reply directly to their email.

If you haven't heard from your student volunteer 2 weeks before classes begin, please contact your NTU exchange student coordinator.


Course Information and Course Selection

Course Information

Instruction on how to search for course information, please read this page.

Course Selection Schedule

1st online course selection period: 2023/08/18  to  08/21 

2st online course selection period: 2023/08/25  to  08/26  

Add & drop period:   2023/09/04  to  09/16 

Log in with your NTU student account at myNTU >> Courses >> "Course Selection System 1" or "Course  Selection System 2".

Instruction on how to select courses during the course selection periods, please read this page; or go to the Office of Academic Affairs >> "Course Selection" .


(((Exchange students are welcome to take courses offered by departments/ institutes outside of their majors. Course information and schedule can be found on the NTU Course Information. To search for courses you areinterested in, you need to first select the academic year. If you use the Chinese version of the NTU Online Course Information, 111-1 means 2022-Fall (The First Semester of 2022/2023 AY from September 2022 to January 2023), and 111-2 means 2023-Spring (The Second Semester of 2022/2023 AY from February 2023 to June 2023).

Lectures and examinations are typically conducted in Chinese. If you do not have sufficient knowledge of Chinese, you should consult the professor or instructor before enrolling in a certain course. Course information for the new semester will be announced roughly a month before the start of the semester. Before this, you may refer to course schedules from prior semesters or consult your department/college offices directly.)))


Last update : 2023 / 06 / 27