Before Arrival

Pre-Arrival Guidebook (2021 Fall Semester)

The Office of International Affairs has compiled a guidebook for information to help you as you prepare to embark on your journey to NTU. Please click on the photo to access the AY2021/2022 Pre-Arrival Guidebook which includes essential information on topics including finance, course selection, etc. To download an electronic version, please click here.



According to the policy released on July 26, 2021, the border control measures for all foreign citizens became stricter. Entry to Taiwan will continue to be suspended for foreign nationals without a valid R.O.C. (Taiwan) Resident Certificate.

Before you come to Taiwan, you should apply for a Resident or Visitor Visa from the Taiwan Diplomatic Mission in your residence country with the official admission letter issued by NTU. Look up the Taiwan Diplomatic Mission in your residence country by visiting the Ministry of Foreign Affair's website > Embassies & Missions.

Please note that if you fail to obtain a proper visa issued by a Taiwan Diplomatic Mission, your exchange student identity will be canceled.

If you are a Mainland China Passport holder, you will need to enter Taiwan with an Entry Permit. According to regulations of the National Immigration Agency, OIA will help you with the application for an Entry Permit. Find out more in the Guide for Mainland China Passport Holders.

ARC (Alien Resident Certificate)

If you will be staying in Taiwan for one academic year, you may be able to obtain an ARC.

Once you have registered at NTU, you can apply for a Resident Visa at the Bureau of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you entered Taiwan on a Visitor Visa. 

Within 15 days of receiving a Resident Visa, you must apply for an ARC at the National Immigration Agency in Taipei. You may also request a Re-entry Permit when you apply for an ARC. 



NTU Insurance Policy

For students who are joining the on-campus exchange program, you are required to purchase your own insurance in your home country before traveling to Taiwan. A valid Taiwanese NHI card (National Health Insurance card) can also be considered as a equivalent insurance.

Please provide proof of insurance in Chinese or English valid for your entire exchange period for the following:
 - Accident insurance worth a minimum of TWD 1,000,000 (approx. USD 34,000)
 - Medical insurance worth a minimum of TWD 1,000,000 (approx. USD 34,000)

If you hold an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) and have met the six-month minimum residency requirement, you can choose to join the National Health Insurance (NHI) with limited coverage.


Health Exam Requirement

  NTU Health Exam Policy

For students joining the on-campus exchange program, you must complete a health exam conducted by a qualified doctor and complete all parts listed on the NTU Incoming Exchange/Visiting Students Health Exam Form & Form C (2pages in total). According to the regulation of National Health Insurance Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare, the NTU Health Exam Form and Form C must be completed within 3 months prior to the registration date.

You need to print out the health exam form in hard copy, and complete the health exam by a qualified doctor in your home country. Please upload both the complete Health Exam Form and Form C to the online registration system before the registration deadline. Details will be provided directly via email.

If you have difficulty to do the health exam in your home country, you may choose to do the health exam at NTU Hospital after arriving in Taiwan. Please note that following the current policy, all foreign passengers are required to complete a 14-day Home Quarantine and the following up 7-day Self Health Management. Moreover, it takes around 5 to 7 work days to receive the health exam report.

If you fail to submit the health exam form before the deadline, please contact your coordinator to make an appointment for a make-up registration.

  Health Certificate for Residence Application

If you are a one-year exchange student and need to apply for the Resident Visa, you will need to conduct a health exam at Ministry-designated hospital, which does not include the NTU Hospital, and complete both NTU Health Exam forms and Health Certificate for Residence Application.  


NTU Student Volunteer

To help you become better prepared and more familiar with NTU student life, OIA will assign an NTU student volunteer for you upon your arrival. When you receive a welcome email from your student volunteer, please reply directly to their email.

If you haven't heard from your student volunteer 2 weeks before classes begin, please contact your NTU exchange student coordinator.

Last update : 2021 / 08 / 20